SecretEarth.com ("the Site") is owned and operated by Secret Earth Limited ("Secret Earth") of 70 – 76 Bell Street, London, NW1 6SP, who also acts as the data controller for the purpose of the Data Protection Act ("the Act").
At Secret Earth Limited ("Secret Earth"), we take the privacy of our members very seriously and understand that interacting with our service and making bookings online through us requires disclosure of information, some of which may be personal information. Our priority here at Secret Earth is to do all we can to ensure your personal information is kept secure and confidential.
- Collection of your information
- Use of your information
- Sharing your information
- Access of your information
- Your choices with regard to collection and use of your information
- Protecting your information
- External links and social plug-ins
- How you can contact us
In General. We receive and store any information you enter on the Site or give us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you ("personal information"), including your name and contact email.
This also includes any information provided by filling in forms on the Site. Although at present we do not require extensive information, we may also request information about activities promoted or supported on the Site such as hotel room preferences, loyalty, frequent flyer and/or car rental programme information.
You can choose not to provide information to us, but some information about you is required in order to register as a member; purchase membership services; complete a traveller profile; participate in a survey, competition or promotion; ask us a question; initiate other transactions on the Site including, but not limited to search, booking, itinerary creation and management or forum participation; or if you were to report a problem with the Site. We may also collect and process details of your visit to the Site, including, but not limited to traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise.
Travel Companion Information. All bookings are made direct with our partner suppliers and affiliates through their websites and any payment will be taken by partner supplier websites directly from you. Where you make a reservation for someone else through the Site, we may request personal information and travel preferences about that individual. You should obtain the consent of other individuals prior to providing us with their personal information and travel preferences, as any access to view or change their information will be available only through your account.
Information from other Sources. We may also periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third party sources and add it to our account information. Examples of information we may receive include: updated delivery and address information, purchase history and demographic information.
Social Media/Facebook. If you make use of any social media features on the Site, the social media provider may send us information in line with their policies. That information may include your name, profile picture, gender, friend lists and any other information you have chosen to make available. Information regarding activity and hotel selections or any savings or discounts exchanged between you and your friends may also be shared. Please note that, if you have Social Media/Facebook friends who are using Secret Earth, they may also have shared information about you with us through Social Media/Facebook. If you wish to prevent that sharing you can do so by editing your Social Media/Facebook privacy settings/other relevant preferences.
We use information about you for the following general purposes: to provide you with products and services you request; to provide you with relevant updates; to manage your account; to communicate with you in general; to respond to your questions and comments; to allow us to contact you about the Secret Earth service, if necessary; to measure interest in and improve our services and the Site; to notify you by email or post about special offers and any partner travel-related products and services that may be of interest to you; to otherwise customise the Site experience; to reward you as part of any reward or loyalty program in place from time to time that you choose to join; to solicit information from you, including through surveys; to resolve disputes, collect fees, or troubleshoot problems; to prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities; to enforce our Terms and Conditions of Site Use; and as otherwise described to you at the point of collection.
Email Communications. We want to make it easy for you to take advantage of partner travel-related opportunities on the Site. One way we may do this is by sending you email messages that contain information about your travel-related interests. However, you will have the opportunity to opt-out from receiving these email messages in any such email we send.
Please review your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information below to exercise your rights regarding email communications.
Secret Earth may share your information with the following entities:
- Partner Suppliers, such as hotel, car rental, booking agents and suppliers who fulfil your travel reservations. Throughout the Site, all services provided by a third party partner supplier are described as such and all bookings are made directly with or through that supplier. We do not accept direct payment for any bookings made by you. We therefore encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third party travel supplier whose products you purchase as we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. Please note that these partner suppliers may also contact you as necessary to obtain additional information about you, facilitate your travel reservations and payments, or respond to a review you may submit.
- Third party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf, including debit/credit card processing, business analytics, traveller services, marketing, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, and fraud prevention. We may also authorise third party vendors to collect information on our behalf, including as necessary to operate features of the Site or to facilitate the delivery of online advertising tailored to your interests. Third party vendors have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose. We will also try to ensure where possible that they adhere to the same or similar mechanisms to protect personal data.
- Business partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear with ours. If you choose to access these optional services, we may share information about you, including your personal information, with those partners so that they can contact you directly by email or post about their products and services. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third party business partners nor do we accept any responsibility or liability for the same.
- Referring websites. If you were referred to SecretEarth.com from another website, and where you have opted-in to share personal data and receive marketing emails, we may share some information about you with that referring website so that they can contact you directly by email or post about their products and services. We have not placed limitations on the referring websites' use of your personal information and we strongly recommend that you review the privacy policies of any website that referred you to SecretEarth.com.
We may also share your information:
- Where required by law in the good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to comply with applicable laws or legal processes. When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of Secret Earth, the Site or its users; and in connection with our Terms and Conditions and other agreements. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a sale of a subsidiary or a division, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
You can access and update your contact information by visiting the My Account page on the Site. You can close your Site account by going to the My Account page and choosing to close your account.
Please note that after your account is closed, you will not be able to sign in or access any personal information. Please also note that we may retain certain information associated with your account, including for legal, record keeping and analytical purposes.
If you wish to contact us in relation to any personal information that is not displayed in your account, you may ask us to access, delete or modify the information that we hold about you by emailing us at the email address listed below.
The Act gives you the right to access information we hold about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request will be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
You must provide email and nearest city information to obtain membership to the Site and take advantage of our service. However, after membership is attained you may choose how much additional personal information you wish to provide. You should be aware that any restrictions in providing information may mean you are unable to fully partake in some of the services offered on the Site.
You can also add or update information and close your account as described above.
When you register as a member on the Site, you will be given a choice as to whether you want to receive email messages from us and special offers, as well as email messages about products and services of carefully selected third parties. You can modify your choices at any time by adjusting the settings on your profile page.
You will also be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from messages in any such emails we send. Please note that we reserve the right to send you other communications, including service announcements, administrative messages, and surveys relating either to your account or your transactions on the Site, without offering you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving them.
You can choose to access certain third party social media websites and services (such as Facebook) through the Site. When you do so, you are sharing information with those websites and the information you share will be governed by their privacy policies (including that the website may share information with us). You may be able to modify your privacy settings with these third party social media websites. Please refer to the relevant provider policies for more information.
We automatically collect some information about you and from your computer when visiting the Site. For example, we may collect the referring IP address, web browser software (such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome or Safari), and referring websites. We may also collect information about your online activity, such as trips viewed and purchases made on the Site. By collecting this information we can help to customise your user experience.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies are essential for the operation of the Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of the Site.
- Functionality cookies. These cookies enable services specifically requested and recognise you when you return to the Site. This enables us to personalise content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, choice of language or region and display options).
- Analytical/performance cookies. These cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to the Site and to see how visitors move around the Site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way the Site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Targeting cookies. These cookies collect information about you. This includes your browsing habits in order to make advertising relevant to your interests or for the provision of third party products and services. This information may also be shared with third parties for this purpose.
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will explain to you how to prevent browsers from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies from the Site, you will not be able to access the Site.
Data collected by business partners and ad networks to serve you with relevant advertising.
While no website can guarantee security, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical, and physical security procedures to help protect the personal information provided to us. However, unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of the data transmitted to or from the Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features that aim to prevent unauthorised access. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
This may also be the case when any part of the Site uses social plug-ins from other websites such as Facebook. Plug-ins such as Facebook's "Like" button and "Comments" can be identified by one of Facebook's logos, such as the "f" or "thumbs-up" icon, and in practice are like a little piece of Facebook embedded in the Site. When you land on any web page that uses these plug-ins, the Site browser sends certain information to the Social Media/Facebook website. As with other websites that use these plug-ins, we do not control this data exchange. To learn more about the information that the Social Media/Facebook website receives when you visit a web page with one of their plug-ins, we recommend that you visit the relevant Social Media/Facebook Help Center page.